Sign Up for Free Weekly Newsletter

Click Here


Bookmark and Share


Super Saturday with Doug

Doug Gerlach is joining us for a day of education.

When: Saturday March 29, 2014

Where: Kaplan University, 4655 121st St, Urbandale, IA 50323

Time: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Cost: $35 before March 1, 2014 $50 after March 1, 2014

Sessions with Doug:

Going Beyond the SSG
"If 90% of what you need to know about a company can be found on the Stock Selection Guide, what about the other 10%?" This presentation is about researching and understanding the company – its directors, management, insider ownership, institutional ownership, debt, interest coverage, credit rating, short interest, share buybacks, cash flow, industry comparisons, and more.

Anatomy of a Stock Study
A live, interactive dissection of a company using the Stock Selection Guide—researching the company, projecting growth, adding judgment, and determining if a stock is a buy, sell, or hold. Learn what’s important (and what’s not) when analyzing a stock using the SSG.
Investment Club Portfolio Clinic
Managing an investment club portfolio presents some specific challenges. Get your club portfolio whipped into shape with a review of your current holdings, focusing on key principles of diversification, quality, and total return. (This interactive presentation requires portfolios to be submitted by clubs in advance and includes a brief overview presentation of key portfolio management techniques.) (Portfolios must be submitted by: March 1st. Send your portfolio to

Registration from 8:00 - 9:00 am. Refreshments will be served.

This will be a time to visit with corporate sponsors who will be present and to network with other investors.

Register at the following link:
or mail registration to:
Heartland Chapter, 4511 83rd St., Urbandale, IA 50322 (Include Name, Address, Telephone Number and Email address for each person registering.)


Winter Go To Webinar Series:
Heartland Chapter offers the following webinars which will be taught by Better Investing National instructors. This is a small sampling of what is presented at BINC (Better Investing National Convention).

January 28, 2014 - "Every Picture Tells a Story";
 Instructor: Avi Horwitz 
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Join us as we begin to learn how to read pictures and what they can tell us about a company. This webinar will focus on understanding a company’s growth and what it tells us about future sales and earnings per share growth. We will also touch upon what the picture tells us about a company’s value.

February 11, 2014 -
"Red Flags"; Instructor: Ken Peters
To alert you to items within the Stock Study that may indicate Caution or the need to search deeper for underlying reasons. Description: This Due Diligence item is for Beginners to Advanced. It will address Total Interest Coverage, Sustainable Growth Rate, Weighted PE Ratio, Relative Value, Selecting an Estimated Low Price, Dilution, and The Final Analysis

February 18, 2014 -
" Investing in a Sideways Market"; Instructor: Shanna Rendon Class Description: TBD

February 25, 2014 -
 "Economic Moats - What is a moat and why is it important?";
Instructor: Allen Holdsworth 
What is a moat and why is it important?
A moat is some feature of a company and its business that helps provide long term protection from competitors. This class will explain what makes a moat and give numerous examples. A moat helps a company maintain profits and margins for a much longer period that a company without one. Learn the different types of moats and how to decide if a company has a moat.

 These classes are held via Go-To-Webinar and will begin at 7:00 pm Central Time.

Cost: $30 for all four classes or $10 per class.
Register at:
These sessions will be recorded and be made available to registrants shortly after completion. If you are unable to attend on a given date you would still be able access the recorded session at your leisure.


Welcome to the HeartlandChapter.   During the coming year we will be offering several classes in different locations to serve the BI community in Iowa.  We will also offer some online classes.  Visit our web page frequently to learn about educational opportunties.




Instructor Notes for Vistual Analysis Class8/15/2009
Directions for Education Chair8/15/2009
Iowa Chapter Volunteer Form9/15/2006
More Chapter Articles

Learning Events Near You:

Find a Chapter Near You

Corporate Partners

Learn more about

companies supporting

BetterInvesting's mission