IT Help Desk Support Technician - Part-TimeAre you looking for a part-time gig with a flexible schedule, allowing you to take classes or fulfill family responsibilities or work another job at night/on weekends? Do you desire for your work to mean something? To help people? Then this may be just the perfect role for you. This position is a weekday, part-time position requiring a minimum of two hours daily (weekdays) and a maximum of 15 hours weekly. The schedule is flexible as aligned with organizational needs. On a daily basis, two hours must be worked before 11 AM ET.
Revised: April 2022
Time Type: Part-time
Status: Hourly Non-Exempt
Department: Information Technology
Location: Troy, MI (or remote)
Job SummaryThis individual will perform various problem analysis and monitoring tasks for the Information Technology help desk; triage computer, server, or network problems to appropriate technical staff; log, coordinate, and track requests for assistance related to information technology-supported systems as a primary user contact. Typically, an individual in this position can resolve problems of a moderate level of complexity, referring more complex issues to senior-level personnel. The ideal candidate is reliable, has a customer-focused attitude, has excellent communication skills, and enjoys working in a team environment.
About The National Association of Investors / BetterInvestingAs a nonprofit organization, our mission is to educate individual investors and investment clubs to become successful lifelong investors. Our employees have been with us on average for over 14 years due to our mission-driven approach, excellent work/life balance, remote flexibility, superb benefits and more. You can read more about our organization, founded in 1951, at www.betterinvesting.org.
- Participate in the preparation of procedure manuals and documentation for help desk use; may conduct periodic user satisfaction surveys and track user problem trends; make recommendations for improvements to the systems and create reports based on information provided from user surveys and trends.
- Execute the daily, weekly, and monthly tasks in the Help Desk checklist
- Monitor and respond quickly to incoming requests related to IT issues during assigned work hours. Communicate the status of problem resolution to users.
- Monitor computer systems and act as support if any system goes down.
- Maintain user PCs, including upgrades and configuration as needed.
- Assist with onboarding of new users.
- Assist in inventory management of all equipment, software, and licensed users.
- Install, configure, and upgrade PC software.
- Assist the IT staff in department projects.
- Assist with or perform employee training in software or application functionality.
- Participate in distributing network-related information to users, including help desk procedures and network handbooks.
- If requested, prepare reports on system status or other projects related to the IT department.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Adaptability: Ability to adjust to a variety of situations; is flexible and receptive to change; able to modify behaviors.
- Communications: Expresses ideas effectively, adjusting language or terminology to the needs of the listener. Excellent written communication skills, targeting communications to the characteristics and needs of the audience and meeting professional standards. Ability to write effectively, clearly, succinctly and in an appropriate manner consistent with the respective brand.
- Decision Making: Ability to obtain and use pertinent information to solve problems and make appropriate decisions.
- Dependability: Willingness to take on assignments and be held accountable; reliable in completing assignments and meeting deadlines.
- Integrity: Demonstrate sound business ethics; show consistency among principles, values and behaviors; build trust with others; is well respected.
- Operational: Well organized. Proactive.
- Planning: Able to develop plans which are appropriately comprehensive, realistic, and effective in meeting goals.
- Quality Work: Produce high-quality results which meet organizational needs.
- Teamwork: Foster collaboration as well as take actions that respect the needs and contributions of others.
- Coordinate efforts. Share and build on others’ ideas. Work harmoniously with others; cooperative, a team player.
- General aptitude with Windows computer systems and iOS and Android mobile devices. Prior knowledge of PC repair and network management is a plus.
- Resourcefulness and quick-thinking nature to troubleshoot new and critical technical issues as they arise.
- Willingness to keep current on information technology topics.
- Ability to deploy, configure, and support operating systems on desktop and mobile.
- Understanding and appreciation for information security within systems and user devices.
- Strong drive to provide excellent customer service and experience, with an awareness of prioritizing tasks, stakeholders, budget, and time.
Desirable Experience:Two years of experience with computer operations, network communication systems or in a setting with exposure to computers. Familiar with a variety of software including, Windows 10 apps, Windows Server, Microsoft products, and Anti-Virus software. Familiar with Internet software applications. Experience with Macintosh and Linux/Unix is highly desirable.
Preferred Education:Communications and analytical skills that are normally acquired through an Associate’s Degree or sufficient technical/college-level course work in information technology, computer science, mathematics or a related field, or equivalent technical training in a computer-related field. Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
We welcome all applicants, including stay-at-home parents, those returning to the workforce after an extended period away, etc.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer who complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
To apply, email us at email@example.com
- A comprehensive resume
- A letter stating your personal interest in the position indicating how your skills, knowledge and experience match the responsibilities articulated in the job description
Application deadline: Applications are being accepted until the position is filled
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. Management sometimes assigns additional duties. This job description may be revised at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either the employee or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.