VolunteeringThe Rocky Mountain Chapter is one of the busiest chapters in BetterInvesting:
- We hold Model Investment Club meetings seven times a year (January through May and September through December). Each meeting includes a short business meeting, an educational presentation and a stock study of a small or medium size company;
- We visit investment clubs (either online or in person, where practicable) every year to present anniversary certificates, provide support, answer questions and update members on BetterInvesting news and events;
- We teach classes on investing, the stock selection guide and mutual funds/ETFs at Colorado Free University, a Denver-based non-profit educational institution offering classes “designed for busy adults who want to get useful information or new skills without having to commit a great amount of time Colorado Free University (freeu.com);
- We hold planning meetings annually; and
- We participate in Financial Literacy Month every April.
All or our activities are done by volunteers. We need some new volunteers, including Board of Directors members, to help with these events if they are to continue. Some of our volunteer directors are new. Some have been volunteering for many years. We have fun doing what we do and enjoy each other’s company at our meetings. We meet online, so you don't even have to leave your home.
If you have enjoyed any of our events or services, please consider volunteering to help us keep our events going into the future. Whether you have a few hours from time to time, or can make a longer commitment, you can be of enormous help, and we would love to have you. Current volunteers are happy to mentor new volunteers.
What is a “Volunteer?”
- A BetterInvesting member who wishes to contribute to the chapter. A volunteer may be invited to become an Associate Director on the Chapter Board or, after service the prescribed “apprenticeship period,” be eligible to be voted in as a director.
- A volunteer that wants to be involved in the leadership and management of the Chapter. It is a prerequisite to being nominated for election as a full Director. It can be considered to be a training ground prior to election to full Director to determine if the candidate fully understands and accepts the duties and responsibilities of a full Director. The Associate Director position affords the Chapter Board the opportunity to work with and observe the candidate for a period of at least one year to see if the person is compatible with the Chapter Board and its purpose.
- Any Rocky Mountain Chapter member may be elected to be a Director after service as an Associate Director. A prospective Director must first have satisfactorily served as either a Volunteer or an Associate Director for a minimum of one year.
- The officers of the Rocky Mountain Chapter are: a President, several functional area Vice Presidents, a Secretary and a Treasurer. Following the Annual Meeting and preceding the beginning of the next fiscal year, the current President convenes a special Chapter Board meeting for the purpose of electing officers for the new fiscal year from the newly elected Board.
- Volunteers, Associate Directors, and full Directors receive deep discounts on BetterInvesting membership fees, online tools, classes and the BetterInvesting National Convention.
Here are some of the ways you can participate:
- Board member
- Volunteer (many small jobs)
- Newsletter writer/contributor
- Website design/maintenance
- Class instructor