News & Articles
- March 15, 2023: ETFs Video
- January 18, 2023: Common or Preferred Stock Slides Video
- November 16, 2022: A Dividend Growth Strategy Slides Video
- September 21, 2022: Quarterly Data Slides Video
- July 20, 2022: Keeping Your Head in Crazy Market Slides Video
- May 18, 2022: Basic Rules—Investing for a Lifetime (with Bob Adams) Video. Bob's handouts can be found on his website at bob-adams.net
- March 16, 2022: Finding Stocks Slides
- January 19, 2022: First Cuts Slides
BetterInvesting’s Online Chapter (OLC) is conducting its First Annual Portfolio Contest between September 1, 2022, and July 31, 2023. The Portfolio Contest aspires to draw attention to the BetterInvesting (BI) investing approach, to enhance relationships among club members, to enhance all members' relationships with BetterInvesting and the BI Online chapter, and to have fun.
This year’s Rules of Contest can be seen via clicking here. In response to feedback regarding the Pilot Contest, as well as a desire to further structure the contest as a meaningful educational event that reinforces BI’s principles and stock analysis tools, some changes to the rules have been introduced. Compared to the Pilot Contest, new features of the First Annual Contest are:
- the contest this year will be a 11 months ( rather than 5.5 months in the pilot) . After this year it will be 12 months, running from August 1st through the following July 31st,
- besides clubs, individuals can now enter the contest,
- the imaginary sum invested has been increased from $10,000 to $100,000,
- the number of stocks in the portfolio has been increased from 3-5 to 4-7,
- entrants are being asked, but not required, to provide SSGs and indicate the rationale behind their selection of stocks,
- once during the year contestants will be able to change holdings in their portfolio,
- during the 2023 OLC Annual Meeting spokespersons for the winning portfolios are being expected to make a short (5 min.) presentation that covers the rationale for the stocks selected, any portfolio rebalancing, and comments on the portfolio’s performance during the contest.
Periodic updates and assessments on the progress of the Portfolios will be sent to our members via Interspire emails and our OLC Monthly News Bulletin. You can view, in real time, the contest status by clicking on Portfolio Summary and Portfolio Details.
If you have any questions or suggestions, email email@example.com with “Portfolio Contest” in the subject line.
Dan Perlman, Portfolio Contest Chair
Volume 2, Issue 3: March 2023
Volume 2, Issue 2: February 2023
Volume 2, Issue 1: January 2023
Volume 1, Issue 11: December 2022
Volume 1, Issue 10: November 2022
Volume 1, Issue 9: October 2022
Volume 1, Issue 8: September 2022
Volume 1, Issue 7: August 2022
Volume 1, Issue 6: July 2022
Volume 1, Issue 5: June 2022
Volume 1, Issue 4: May 2022
Volume 1_Issue 3: April 2022
Articles of Interest
Calming Advice in Times Like This by Gary Ball, Puget Sound Chapter, March 20, 2020
Financial Literacy: Stress Test Your Investment Portfolio
Are You Suffering from a Low T Investing Program?
BIwiki - a place for BI members to collaborate on investing
Online Chapter Annual Meeting
Playing the Investment Piano with Both Hands - Part 3
By Saul Seinberg, December 15, 2020 Recording Slides
Playing the Investment Piano with Both Hands - Part 2,
By Saul Seinberg, November 17, 2020, Recording Slides
Playing the Investment Piano with Both Hands - Part 1
By Saul Seinberg, July 30, 2020, Recording Slides
Stock Investing Made Easy Series
Why the Tortoise Sometimes Wins (Avi Horwitz - June 29, 2020)
Follow-Up Q&A Handout
Preferred Procedure Simplified (Avi Horwitz - July 20, 2020)
Handout / Additional Handout
Follow-up Q&A Handout
Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes (Avi Horwitz - October 26, 2020) Handout / Q&A Handout
The Years Keep Rolling By (Avi Horwitz - November 30, 2020)
Handout-1 / Handout-2 / Handout-3 / Bonus (Additional Information) / Q&A Handout
What’s a Satellite? Am I in one?
Great question – You belong to the Online Chapter (OLC). The Online Chapter members were drawn from chapters that were closed and other members that geographically did not already belong to a Chapter nearby. Some areas of the United States have a concentration of members – many from closed chapters. If there are volunteers in an area that are trained, ready, and willing and able to serve, the OLC has formed a geographic group called “Satellites”.
Where are the Satellites?
New York City
South Central Texas (supporting members in the Great San Antonio Area)
Yankee (Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island)
What is the " Objective?
Provide the opportunity for each BetterInvesting member in the local area to develop the investing skills needed to achieve financial security and independence.
What’s happening in the Satellites?
The Online Chapter’s Satellites are ready to assist local clubs and members. What can they do for your club or you?
Would you like a Club visit – in person or virtual? We can answer general questions about BetterInvesting and more. Maybe you need help navigating the rich content on the website. Perhaps you’d like a portfolio tuneup or tips on how to find stocks to study. And a favorite club visit is to present an anniversary certificate - Always a time for celebrating. If your club has a milestone anniversary (5, 10, 15, 20 25 or more years) a BetterInvesting benefit is a presentation (in person or virtual) of your club’s anniversary certificate. Your club may also choose to include a short presentation of other topics of interest. Contact the Online Chapter today to inquire about a club visit.
Forming a New Club
Are you newly forming a club? Get answers to partnership agreements, opening brokerage accounts and bank account, setting up software and assistance navigating the BetterInvesting website and tools.
Our Satellites will begin holding local events when it is safe to meet. Check in with your local Satellite Leader to be on the mailing list for future events.
Form a New Satellite
The Online Chapter is always looking for passionate volunteers to form a Satellite and assist other members in their area with their knowledge and passion. Contact us to see how you can help.