News & Articles
Past Mentoring Workshops
- July 19, 2023: Crypto and OTC as part of an investment plan Video
- May 17, 2023: Know When to Sell Slides Video
- March 15, 2023: ETFs Video
- January 18, 2023: Common or Preferred Stock Slides Video
- November 16, 2022: A Dividend Growth Strategy Slides Video
- September 21, 2022: Quarterly Data Slides Video
- July 20, 2022: Keeping Your Head in Crazy Market Slides Video
- May 18, 2022: Basic Rules—Investing for a Lifetime (with Bob Adams) Video. Bob's handouts can be found on his website at bob-adams.net
- March 16, 2022: Finding Stocks Slides
- January 19, 2022: First Cuts Slides
The Portfolio Contest aspires to draw attention to the BetterInvesting (BI) investing approach, to enhance relationships among club members, to enhance all members' relationships with BetterInvesting and the BI Online chapter, and to have fun.
Second Annual Portfolio ContestThe Online Chapter Board has endorsed having another Portfolio Contest from September 1, 2023 to July 31, 2024. Each virtual (i.e., not cash) portfolio must consist of 4 to 7 stocks, initially worth a total of $100,000. For more information click on the links below:
- the contest this year will be 12 months, running from August 1st through the following July 31st,
- clubs and individuals can enter the contest,
- the imaginary sum invested is $100,000,
- the number of stocks in the portfolio is 4-7,
- entrants are being asked, but not required, to provide SSGs and indicate the rationale behind their selection of stocks,
- once during the year contestants will be able to change holdings in their portfolio,
- during the 2024 OLC Annual Meeting spokespersons for the winning portfolios are being expected to make a short (5 min.) presentation that covers the rationale for the stocks selected, any portfolio rebalancing, and comments on the portfolio’s performance during the contest.
If you have any questions or suggestions, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Portfolio Contest” in the subject line.
Dan Perlman, Portfolio Contest Chair
Volume 2, Issue 9: September 2023
Volume 2, Issue 8: August 2023
Volume 2, Issue 7: July 2023
Volume 2, Issue 6: June 2023
Volume 2, Issue 5: May 2023
Volume 2, Issue 4: April 2023
Volume 2, Issue 3: March 2023
Volume 2, Issue 2: February 2023
Volume 2, Issue 1: January 2023
Volume 1, Issue 11: December 2022
Volume 1, Issue 10: November 2022
Volume 1, Issue 9: October 2022
Basic Usage of the CoreSSG Stock Selection Guide Application
Basic Usage of the SSGPlus Stock Selection Guide Application
Beginner's Stock Selection Guide (SSG) videos - From the Puget Sound Chapter
Round 1: Basic Stock Investing Recording - From the Silicon Valley Chapter
Round 2: Qualcomm Stock Study Recording - From the Silicon Valley Chapter
Articles of Interest
Calming Advice in Times Like This by Gary Ball, Puget Sound Chapter, March 20, 2020
Financial Literacy: Stress Test Your Investment Portfolio
Are You Suffering from a Low T Investing Program?
BIwiki - a place for BI members to collaborate on investing
Online Chapter Annual Meeting
Playing the Investment Piano with Both Hands - Part 3
By Saul Seinberg, December 15, 2020 Recording Slides
Playing the Investment Piano with Both Hands - Part 2,
By Saul Seinberg, November 17, 2020, Recording Slides
Playing the Investment Piano with Both Hands - Part 1
By Saul Seinberg, July 30, 2020, Recording Slides
Stock Investing Made Easy Series
Why the Tortoise Sometimes Wins (Avi Horwitz - June 29, 2020)
Follow-Up Q&A Handout
Preferred Procedure Simplified (Avi Horwitz - July 20, 2020)
Handout / Additional Handout
Follow-up Q&A Handout
Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes (Avi Horwitz - October 26, 2020) Handout / Q&A Handout
The Years Keep Rolling By (Avi Horwitz - November 30, 2020)
Handout-1 / Handout-2 / Handout-3 / Bonus (Additional Information) / Q&A Handout
What’s a Satellite? Am I in one?
Great question – You belong to the Online Chapter (OLC). The Online Chapter members were drawn from chapters that were closed and other members that geographically did not already belong to a Chapter nearby. Some areas of the United States have a concentration of members – many from closed chapters. If there are volunteers in an area that are trained, ready, and willing and able to serve, the OLC has formed a geographic group called “Satellites”.
Where are the Satellites?
New York City
South Central Texas (supporting members in the Great San Antonio Area)
Yankee (Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island)
What is the " Objective?
Provide the opportunity for each BetterInvesting member in the local area to develop the investing skills needed to achieve financial security and independence.
What’s happening in the Satellites?
The Online Chapter’s Satellites are ready to assist local clubs and members. What can they do for your club or you?
Would you like a Club visit – in person or virtual? We can answer general questions about BetterInvesting and more. Maybe you need help navigating the rich content on the website. Perhaps you’d like a portfolio tuneup or tips on how to find stocks to study. And a favorite club visit is to present an anniversary certificate - Always a time for celebrating. If your club has a milestone anniversary (5, 10, 15, 20 25 or more years) a BetterInvesting benefit is a presentation (in person or virtual) of your club’s anniversary certificate. Your club may also choose to include a short presentation of other topics of interest. Contact the Online Chapter today to inquire about a club visit.
Forming a New Club
Are you newly forming a club? Get answers to partnership agreements, opening brokerage accounts and bank account, setting up software and assistance navigating the BetterInvesting website and tools.
Our Satellites will begin holding local events when it is safe to meet. Check in with your local Satellite Leader to be on the mailing list for future events.
Form a New Satellite
The Online Chapter is always looking for passionate volunteers to form a Satellite and assist other members in their area with their knowledge and passion. Contact us to see how you can help.